Making a Wilton Castle Cake

A couple months back while browsing on Amazon, I came across the Wilton Romantic Castle Cake Set and knew I had to give it a try for Baby Girl’s birthday party. We had the party yesterday and it was a crazy affair, with a total of 14 kids and a Double Cannon Blast Slide (though we bought a different, better model of the same thing from Sam’s Club). Anyway, here’s my account of the ordeal I went through to make this cake. First of all though, I should mention that making this cake is freaking expensive. To explain, to make the exact cake I made you will need: Wilton Romantic Castle Cake Set ($16.68, price has gone up since I bought it) 16″ cake boards ($10.19 at Ben Franklin) 6″ cake boards (5.99 at Ben Franklin) 6 x 2 Inch Round Aluminum Cake Pan ($11.14) White Candy Melts ($5.59 at Ben Franklin) Wilton White Cake Sparkles x2 ($4.79 at Ben Franklin) Wilton Artificial Clear Vanilla Extract ($2.99 at Ben Franklin) 10″ Round Cake Pan ($14.49 at Ben Franklin) Wilton Floral Collection 32-Piece Flower-Making Set ($21.99) #3 tip ($3.49 as a set) Wilton Plastic Dowel Rods ($3.99 at Ben Franklin; awful, awful product) Wilton Pure White Rolled Fondant x2 ($8.99 at Ben Franklin) 1 lb bag confectioner’s sugar x3 ($2.50 each) Wilton Icing Colors ($9.80) 3 box cake mixes ($3.00 each on sale) 9 eggs (about $3.00) 3 sticks butter (about $4.00) vegetable shortening sticks (about $4.00) All that comes out to about $159.40. Add in the 14 hours labor I put in and I’d have to charge like $250...

Fondant Figure Easter Cupcakes

The Easter cupcakes are done and I’m very happy to report that they came out just as planned! I was so scared that I was going to have spent hours on the figures only to mess them up when it came to frosting. Aside from the figures I made, I had a nest of eggs to do. This afternoon, I made two sets of frosting: green buttercream (using Bakerella’s recipe) and chocolate cream cheese frosting (from Cupcake Project). I bought Wilton’s #233 Decorating Tip and a Coupling Set, then used Ziploc bags for piping. First, I had to do all the grass, putting the bag in the freezer every now and then to firm it back up. It took a bit of practice, but wasn’t that hard! I’m pretty happy I didn’t spend 7 bucks on pastry bags. Ziplocs worked fine with the coupler. (the plastic thing securing the bag to the tip) Now I just had to add the figures, which I did by inserting a toothpick and then poking that into the cupcake. Anyway, here’s the sheep, munching on her frosting grass. I love how her head is tilted, like she’s confused. I’m sorry Miss Sheep, but I can confirm that yes, that cute smiling child is going to EAT YOU! Next up, bunny rabbit with three jellybean eggs! Next up is Mr. Bumblebee. I gave him a fondant flower to polinate. Bzz bzz! Now here’s Mr. Piggy, chillin’ in the grass. Baa-ram-ewe! Sorry the focus is off on some of these, but my camera’s auto-focus has been making me crazy. I have to look up what...