A light edit to follow line editing.
Defining Copy Editing
While line editing focuses on ensuring your manuscript provides readers with a smooth reading experience, hones your author’s voice, and sets the tone and pace for your story, so much can change that another pass may be needed to smooth out remaining issues that can get missed when the focus is purely on other aspects of the book. Copy editing is essentially a light subsequent line edit that focuses on technical grammar aspects of your manuscript.
This service is only available for manuscripts that have been previously line edited by Pikko’s House or a professional editor or are clean and ready for a light editing pass. The latter qualification is determined by Pikko’s House and not the author.
My rates for copy editing vary depending on the state of the manuscript but fall anywhere between $0.013 per word and $0.015 per word. A manuscript that falls out of this range will likely need a line edit instead of a copy edit. The rate is determined by a sample edit, which I do to gauge the amount of work required and to show you my editing style.
When quoting for copy editing, I may include options for a subsequent reading and additional services, which will allow you to determine the course that best fits your budget. Should it be determined that your manuscript needs more than copy editing, the copy editing service will only be available as an add-on.
It is always recommended you hire a proofreader to check the manuscript after editing has been completed.
Copy Editing Delivery
Should you hire me to copy edit your manuscript, I will provide you with the following:
- A Microsoft Word copy of your manuscript with editing suggestions and comments made with Track Changes. Editing will cover grammar, punctuation, continuity, and plot flaws.
- A brief editorial letter in the form of an email or PDF.
- A Pikko’s House style sheet outlining the specific details of your manuscript including character names, locations, terms, grammar rules and exceptions, and resource details.
- An optional email discussion of your manuscript.
- An optional Track Changes review is available with complimentary time based on word count.
Types of manuscripts accepted for copy editing:
- Short stories
- Nonfiction books (to be assigned to a Pikko’s House editor)
Here’s the short version of what my copy editing service includes:
Checks for proper sentence structure, punctuation, and grammar.
Ensures your details aren’t magically changing and highlights possible plot flaws.
Checks to make sure punctuation and tagging are accurate.
My copy editing service includes the following, but these issues are not the primary focus of the service:
Non-grammatical errors such as incorrectly spaced or missing punctuation will be fixed.
Typos and/or missing words will be corrected.
Formatting issues may be addressed, depending on the specific issue.