I can’t remember the first time I heard about taco rice, but I know that the next few times I heard of it, it didn’t sounded any more appealing. Slowly over time, the more I heard about it and how good it was, curiosity got the better of me and I thought that it was probably about time to make it and find out for myself. It helped that I still had three packs of frozen turkey to eat, too.
If this dish is completely new to you, I’m not surprised. It’s basically a taco salad with rice instead of a crunchy shell. With origins in Okinawa, taco rice is actually sold at KFC franchises in Japan. Imagine that!
There really isn’t much to it, so it was nice and easy to cook. All I needed to do was cook the rice, brown the turkey meat, and chop the veggies. I used a store bought packet of taco seasoning and added it to the meat with some water.
To serve, I put rice, then meat, then cheese, then lettuce, and finally topped it with tomatoes.
The verdict? Surprisingly good! The taco meat and rice went very well together, but what really made it pop was the cheese, so if you’re going to skimp on an ingredient, don’t let it be the cheese.
Turkey Taco Rice Recipe
- 1 lb 99% fat free ground turkey
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 4 cups cooked rice
- finely chopped lettuce
- Mexican cheese blend
- chopped tomatoes
- Brown the turkey meat and add the taco seasoning according to the package directions. Simmer until liquid is gone.
- Serve taco meat on top of rice and topped with cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes.
Shop for Taco Rice ingredients on Amazon:
- Lawry’s Taco Seasoning (Pack of 24)
- Old El Paso Low Salt Taco Seasoning Mix (Pack of 32)
- 5lb Hinode Calrose Medium Grain White Rice
- Tamaki Gold – Short Grain Rice (5 lb Bag)